por el amor de futbol y tango...

Friday, February 26, 2010


These Portenos are a passionate bunch. Last week I went to a soccer game in Buenos Aires with a group from school and the fanatics were a sight to see - perhaps even more so than the game itself! Watching soccer live was incredibly enjoyable though and I was US was more into it. So much more fun to watch than football, but to each their own. The game was River Plate (one of the two most important teams for Buenos Aires) vs. Arsenal ( of the Argentine variety, not British) and the favored, much higher ranked River Plate was not playing well so it ended with a tie and a disappointed crowd. Ok, so the fanatics. There are two types of seats in “la cancha” (the stadium), “popular” and “platea” and the popular section is where the Porteno version of the English soccer hooligans sit. Well, here they are called barras bravas. Our group was sitting in the very calm platea - an older, family friendly, generally more wealthy section, and from our section we had a fabulous view of the field and also the spectacle that is the popular section. I’ve never experienced such a fanatic display of pride for a team of any sort in my life and it was incredible. I wish I had an audio feed because no exaggeration, these barras bravas sang, chanted, jumped up and down from behind an elaborate display of flags and banners, and beat some really intense drums for an entire 2 hours. Honestly not a second of rest. My pictures don’t do it justice but they kind of give an idea. Muy impresionate, and a very fun first taste of latino Americano soccer. Vaaaaaamos, vamos, vamos, River Plate!




Unfortunately we weren’t allowed to take picures inside (this one I took from a street in La Boca will have to suffice), but this week Suzie and I had a lovely night at a classic Buenos Aires tango show + dinner. The ambiance was great, as were the dancers and orchestra. The performance was a variety show of sorts, some singing, 4 tango couples that did various dances in different costumes, a group dressed in traditional northern Argentine garb playing pan flute, and a cheesy nod to Evita and Argentina pride with flags and “No Llores Por Mi Argentina”. All in all, a very fun time and I’m glad I got to see some serious tango pros.

Last night a group of us from school went to a dinner and show at a small restaurant that prepares typical food from northern Argentina. I ate an amazing llama stew called Charquican, a dish made of llama, veggies, quinoa, all inside a bread bowl of sorts. Incredibly delish!!! The show was a really intimate, folkloric performance by a seriously amazing young singer and band. She interpreted various songs from “el campo” in a beautiful, dramatic way and everyone in the room was captivated and moved. Definitely a memorable night in BA.


AND after school today I head off on an overnight bus for a weekend exploring Iguazu Falls! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iguazu_Falls

I have been wanting to see this for years and am incredibly excited. Cross your fingers for better weather than last weekend for me!

When I return I only have a week left in Buenos Aires and seriously cannot believe how fast this month has flown by. I love my Spanish class and know that I have earned a lot with all the speaking I get to do everyday - I need more though… After a quick month I have created an enjoyable daily rhythm here so I am kinda sad to say goodbye to it already but I have too much more of this continent to see:) But, I did decide this week that I am going to do another month of school in another town along my journey and would very much welcome any recommendations of schools or places to set down my backpack for a bit...

Muchisimas gracias por seguir mi Blog, amigos!

0 comments: