Buenos dias, Bariloche!

Friday, March 19, 2010


Another beautiful day, another endearing town and waaaay too much to report that I am a little overwhelmed sitting down to write a post - which will inevitably be the longest thing ever, so bear with me!

First things first, pics of my wild glacier trek in El Chalten! I set off at 7 am and returned at 7pm, a FULL day of hiking which definitely surpassed my craziest/longest/hardest hike ever record. It was a hilarious group, me and 5 Spanish-speaking males - the whole day was in Spanish, two Argentinos and three Spaniards. By the end we were buddies and they all congratulated me over and over for my ability to gracefully put up with being the only chica en el grupo de los machos for a really long and difficult day of hiking. I will never forget the act of walking on a glacier - it was like exploring another planet! Once we arrived to the glacier after about 4 hours straight of uphill climbing we put on crampons and set off onto the ice. It was pretty scary at first but once I got a feel for how much the crampons really hold you to the ice it was SO fun!



Arriving at frozen tundra... time for crampons!



Our guide ice picking footholds for us....yikes!

Cuidadoooooo!

Ummm, ice climbing? Who am I?!

Wheeeee!

On our descent into town we happened upon a rodeo, gauchos in full effect!!!

El Chalten was a really rustic, tiny town set in a dramatic valley below the beautiful Fitz Roy peaks and I met two great girls from Colorado in my hostel, Hannah and Amy. We really hit it off, cooked some amazing dinners, and shared stories of travel and life. I was having a lot of fun with them and hopefully can meet up again somewhere along the trail.

Currently I am in Bariloche in the gorgeous lake district of Argentina, arrived Wednesday after a 36 hour bus ride - yes, you read that right. I will officially be unfazed by any travel distance from here on out and have graduated to South American bus traveler extraordinaire. I actually find it really fun, love seeing the scenery change, chatting with randoms, listening to music, working through my Spanish novel and practice books from school. Bus travel is really relaxing for me and it usually puts me right to sleep. So yes, got in on Wednesday and when I arrived to the hostel my German friend Connie who I traveled with in the glacier land was sitting on the couch. I didn’t know she would still be here and I am in Bariloche sooner than expected so it was a nice surprise. Oh the gringo trail, it is such a funny little circuit. Immediately upon arrival we went out with another girl who we met in Ushuaia and her friend for St. Patty’s Day. Definitely the most festive St. Patty’s I’ve ever had, complete with shamrock face painting and green beer at a local pub and a great band/multicultural dance party. Good times.

Today I went on the most amazing hike, and I swear I feel like I keep saying that but then keep topping it somehow! Connie and I set off early and were able to catch the gorgeous pink sunset that you see in the picture above (taken from our hostel balcony, yeah this place is fabulous) and took a local bus to the trail head of our chosen hike. OMG, perfect hiking weather, the lake was so still, 2 hours up to the most amazing vista at Refugio Lopez - cutest little pink place where you can stay overnight or enjoy food while passing through on a hike. We sat in the sun with our legs dangling off the ledge just in complete awe of the view while condors circled overhead. It was indescribably peaceful, definitely had a moment up there. We headed back down from our new favorite place in the world and walked a few miles down the main road to Colonia Suiza, a tiny little Swiss village right by the lake. Not much there, but we sat on the dock and again marveled at the beauty of this lake. I have obviously seen lakes but this lake area has something special. The water is clearer, the green is greener, there aren’t 5000 boats, and it feels really untouched by humans. We got off the bus at a recommended local cerveceria that crafts up their own brews. Happy hour as the sun set on the back patio alongside a lush meadow/bog of sorts…. What a day.




Tomorrow is my last day in this lovely lake land and then I set off for adventures… in farming!!! Sunday I am taking a bus 2 hours to a tiny little town called El Bolson, the Berkeley of Argentina, where I will be living and working on a farm for 2 weeks. The farm is called Chacra del Cielo and I have been arranging my stay with a nice woman named Rosa for the past month or so… Ahhh excited! Check it out: http://www.chacraelcielo.com.ar/
They no longer have the cabin and house for volunteers so Rosa offered me their barn, with a mattress and blankets. Cost free lodging for 2 weeks in a barn on an organic farm in Argentina. Love it. I will most likely be off the grid during this time but at least you know exactly where I will be and will report to town with photos and stories just as soon as I can pull myself away from the farm bounty:)

Buenas noches, mis queridos amigos y familia!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Yaaay sister so exited for your farm times!! You will work hard and enjoy the fruits of your labor, literally. Can't wait to hear stories! Love you mucho hermana!

Suzie said...

Hola chica,

Your stories are great! I will place a new one after my salt flat adventure. I have send you an email about Salta and the way up to Bolivia. Can´t wait to see you again.

Have a great time on the farm and be good... xxx