Perito Moreno Glacier!!!

Saturday, March 13, 2010


What a sight to behold… another amazing day and more pictures that I am excited to share. 2 days ago I took a bus from my hostel in a little town called El Calafate to yet another national park ( I am collecting entradas like no other) que se llama Las Glaciares. From there I spent the day viewing the famous glacier from different vantage points and also went on an hour boat ride to get right up next to the glacier. Wow. So massive, like nothing I have ever experienced. Ice as far as the eye can see. The creaking noises, breaking off of huge ice chunks… que impresionante! I think these pics can speak for themselves, but seriously I had no idea how beautiful this place would be.






Yesterday I took a 3 hour bus ride from El Calafate to El Chalten and have entered yet another wonderland of hikes, glaciers, and amazing Patagonian landscapes. This town is tiny and completely surrounded by mountains. You can enter all sorts of hikes from down the street from my hostel and for tomorrow I have booked a full day of hiking, climbing, and glaciar trekking with crampons. So excited! Today I went on a more mellow 2 hour hike to visit a nearby waterfall, more beautiful scenery - Patagonia continues to blow my mind.

I am loving how each hostel and stop on the gringo trail brings a new cast of characters. Yesterday I had a very entertaining day all in Spanish - as most people staying here currently happen to be from Buenos Aires, and one from, Mexico, yay for Spanish speakers! The weather was really stormy (wild winds and rain) so immediately upon my arrival they invited me to join them. Together we ran to the cutest little chocolateria and sought refuge from the rain and wind, drinking hot chocolate and sampling their artisan chocolates:) So fun, great peeps.

Two more days here in El Chalten and northward I go… more info about what lies ahead coming soon!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Your photos are amazing! Sounds like you are having a great time.